- Prayer - To Beg or Entreat
- Tefillah - To Examine Oneself or To Judge Oneself
- Tefillah - Avodah Shebalev - Worship or Service of the Heart
- …love Adonai your God and to serve Him with all your heart and soul… Deuteronomy 11:13
- Heart Devotion - Kavanat HaLev
- Prayer without kavanah is like a body without a soul. Bahya Ibn Pakudah
- Jewish prayer binds us to all of Israel, knitting our hearts and our needs together as we seek HaShem for His mercy.
- When Arising in the Morning:
מוֹדֶה אֲנִי לְפָנֶיךָ מֶלֶךְ חַי וְקַיָּם, שֶׁהֶחֱזַרְתָּ בִּי נִשְׁמָתִי בְּחֶמְלָה. רַבָּה אֱמוּנָתֶךָ
Modeh anee lefanecha melech chai vekayam, she-he-chezarta bee nishmatee b’chemla, raba emunatecha.
I am thankful before you, living and eternal King, for returning my soul within me with compassion. Great is your faithfulness.
Daily Amidah Blessing #5- Teshuvah: Turn us Father to Your Torah, and draw near to us, our King, that we would serve You, and return us, in perfect repentance, to Your presence. Blessed are You Lord, who desires our return.